Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Toxic Mother's Day flowers

Lilies and cats are a bad combo

As Mother's Day is fast approaching, please remember lilies are highly toxic and potentially deadly for our cats. There are many varieties of lilies. The genera Lilium and Hemerocallis are the genera that have been associated with renal failure in cats. All parts of the lily (flower, stem, leaves) are toxic and cause kidney damage and or failure. Most of the time symptoms do not arise for 12-36 hrs post ingestion and death occurring 3-5 days after exposure. If your kitty happens to eat a lily please bring them in ASAP to start treatment and also bring the remaining part of the lily with you so we can try and identify it. Many cats can survive the toxicity with prompt medical care.

So, if you're ordering flowers for a loved one with cats, make sure the florist puts a hold on the lilies!

Love, Dr. Carter

 www.ahrdvm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment